About Lao PDR
National festival: The 2cd of December is the Birthday of the proclamation of the Popular republic by Pathet Lao (1975).
Population of the capital: 716.000 people (2004)
Surface: 236.800 km ² (comparison - Kampuchea: 181.035 km ² - Vietnam: 330.000 km ²).
Landlocked country in the middle of the Indochinese peninsula
- bordered in the east and north by Vietnam and China
- limited to the west and the south by Myanmar, Thailand and Kampuchea.
Highest point: Phou Bia (Xieng-Khouang): 2,820m.
Main river: Mekong: 1.898 km in Laos, on a total course of 4.200 km.
Two seasons with distinct tropical climate of Laos:
- From October to April: dry season (15°C/20°C in Dec./janv. and 30°C/40°C in March/April)
- From May to September: rainy season.
- Population growth: 2% per annum (2005)
- 68 ethnic groups
- 799.000 families
- 54% of the population is less than 20 years old
Patterns of settlement
Urban population: 31%
Rural population: 69%
Active population (older than 10 years old): 70% (3 157.417 people)
Distribution of commercial activities according to the branch of industry
Agriculture and fishing: 85%
Secondary industry: 5%
Tertiary sector: 10%